Frequently Asked questions

Thank you for your interest in the East Bay SPCA. If you do not see your question answered here, please contact us at We are happy to help!

How is the East Bay SPCA funded?
The East Bay SPCA is funded entirely by private donations, foundation grants, bequests and fees for service. We receive no government funding or tax dollars.  We are a non-profit organization, and our tax ID number is 94-1322202. The East Bay SPCA is not affiliated with any other SPCA or Humane Society including ASPCA and HSUS.

I'd like to donate to the East Bay SPCA. How can I do that?
There are many ways to donate to the East Bay SPCA. You can make a one-time gift, become a monthly donor, give a tribute or memorial fund gift, leave us in your will or bequest, bring us food or other pet supplies, or donate your car.

You can donate online at our donation page or call our membership department at 510-563-4604, or mail us at 8323 Baldwin Street, Oakland CA 94621.

How can I adopt an animal?

Come to any of our two facilities (Oakland or Dublin) to visit with our cats and dogs looking for a new home. Be prepared to spend quality time meeting your new companion, and speaking with our Animal Care Associates about the cat or dog you select. Please visit the Adoption Process page for more information.

How can I surrender an animal?
The East Bay SPCA accepts cats and dogs from individuals who can no longer care for them. Our ability to take in dogs and cats changes continuously. For more information or to make an appointment see our Surrendering your Pet page.

I've lost my dog or cat. What can I do?
Look around your neighborhood and talk with your neighbors. Search when it is quiet and use their name when calling them. Your pet may be hiding, hurt or frightened, so look under bushes and other such objects. Put up posters and distribute flyers with a photo and description of your pet. Give enough information to describe your pet and where it was lost, but don't give them every bit of information.

Go to the Oakland Animal Control or your local animal control agency and look at the animals to see if your pet has been impounded. Oakland Animal Services holds strays for a certain period of time. File a lost pet report and go back daily for several weeks to see if your pet turns up.

I've found a dog or cat. What should I do?
If you have taken in a lost cat or dog, thank you for getting him or her off the street. Contact Oakland Animal Services or your local animal control agency and file a found dog or cat report. You can take the animal to the Oakland Animal Services, have them picked up. You can also provide care for that animal until their owner contacts the agency.

Is the East Bay SPCA a "no-kill" facility?
We have found that "no-kill" has come to mean so many different things. As such, we choose not to use that term to describe our facilities or policies. The animals that are accepted into our adoption program are kept, cared for, fed, and socialized and/or trained as long as they remain adoptable, i.e. healthy and sociable. There is no time limit for their stay. Animals are euthanized if they are too aggressive to be safely placed in a home or too ill to be rehabilitated. More info

What do I do if I see an animal being abused or neglected?
Investigations of potential animal abuse are handled through the local animal control agency. To read more about the process of reporting animal cruelty or neglect, click here.

Where can I get my dog licensed?
Each city has its own requirements and fees for dog licenses. Click here to find out more.