Our History

1874
The Oakland SPCA was created to help ensure the humane treatment of horses, mules and other draft animals.

1912
A series of instructional programs, tours and resource library were created. Our organization's first shelter was established in downtown Oakland in 1922.

1957
Under the guidance of Charles Marsh, the organization moved to its present location on Baldwin street.

1987
Gary Templin was named Executive Director of the Oakland SPCA.

1988
The Oakland SPCA became the first animal shelter in the Bay Area to require that all adopted animals went home spayed or neutered.

1992
David Duffield, founder of the Maddie's Fund, made his first large donation to an animal adoption facility. The new award winning PeopleSoft Adoption and Education center was opened, and the Veterinary Clinic was remodeled.

1998
Maddie's Spay/Neuter Surgery Center was opened in 1998 and as of 2009, had performed over 100,000 surgeries.

2001
The new Tri-Valley Adoption Center opens to help the growing Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore area. The organization becomes the "East Bay SPCA."

2003
The East Bay SPCA launched a programs for outreach: PALS, or "Pets and Love Shared." PALS sends trained teams of people and pets into care facilities for visits.

2004
The new Tri-Valley Spay and Neuter Surgery Center in Dublin opened to the public in March. This is the only Spay-Neuter center in this region.

2004
The East Bay Pit Fix was launched to address the growing population of pit bulls in the region. Pit bulls owned by Alameda or Contra Costa County residents are spayed and neutered at no cost.

2005
To address the overpopulation of pit bulls and pit bull mixes, the dogs most at risk in our community, the East Bay SPCA launched an comprehensive program to reduce the euthanasia of pit bulls and pit mixes: The East Bay Pit Fix, a free spay/neuter service, and Pit Bull Hall, a joint education and adoption effort with BAD RAP, a pit bull rescue group.

2006
To address the problem of feral cats, the East Bay SPCA launched the Feral Fix, a free telephone hotline offering free feral cat surgeries, trap rentals and other resources to residents in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

2006
Retiring after 19 years, Gary Templin handed the reins over to the East Bay SPCA's new Executive Director, Allison Lindquist. 

2008
Club Second Chance, a program devoted to helping injured, sick and older animals transition to new homes, is launched.

2008
A new Humane Education program is launched.  East Bay residents of all ages participate in presentations, Animal Camp, Day at the SPCA, and special events throughout the year.

2009
The East Bay SPCA introduces our new Humane Advocate program, designed to match local residents with East Bay SPCA services and local resources.  The program is the first of its kind in the nation.

2009

Teaching Love and Compassion (TLC), an intensive weeks-long afternoon program, is launched.  Middle School students from an East Oakland charter school are  matched with shelter dogs, whom they learn to train and care for.

 

Maddies Fund  

East Bay SPCA is a member of Maddie’s® Treatable Assistance Program