The East Bay SPCA is committed to the welfare of cats and dogs in the communities we serve. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals.
2013 East Bay SPCA celebrates the Grand Opening of the newly-constructed Theodore B. Travers Family Veterinary Clinic, and Cat Adoption Center at Oakland Campus.
2012 East Bay SPCA breaks ground on $9 million construction and renovation project at Oakland campus.
2009 Teaching Love and Compassion (TLC), an intensive weeks-long afternoon program, is launched. Middle School students from an East Oakland charter school are matched with shelter dogs, whom they learn to train and care for.
2009 The East Bay SPCA introduces our new Humane Advocate program, designed to match local residents with East Bay SPCA services and local resources. The program is the first of its kind in the nation.
2008 A new Humane Education program is launched. East Bay residents of all ages participate in presentations, Animal Camp, Day at the SPCA, and special events throughout the year.
2008 Club Second Chance, a program devoted to helping injured, sick and older animals transition to new homes, is launched.
2006 Retiring after 19 years, Gary Templin hands the reins over to the East Bay SPCA's new Executive Director, Allison Lindquist.
2005 To address the overpopulation of pit bulls and pit bull mixes, the dogs most at risk in our community, the East Bay SPCA launched a comprehensive program to reduce the euthanasia of pit bulls and pit mixes: The East Bay Pit Fix, a free spay/neuter service, and Pit Bull Hall, a joint education and adoption effort with BAD RAP, a pit bull rescue group.
2004 The East Bay Pit Fix was launched to address the growing population of pit bulls in the region. Pit bulls owned by Alameda or Contra Costa County residents are spayed and neutered at no cost.
2004 The new Dublin Spay/Neuter Surgery Center opened to the public in March and is the only spay/neuter center in its region.
2003 The East Bay SPCA launched a programs for outreach: PALS, or "Pets and Love Shared." PALS sends trained teams of people and pets into care facilities for visits.
2001 The new Dublin Adoption Center opens to help the growing Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore area. The organization becomes the "East Bay SPCA."
1998 Maddie's Spay/Neuter Surgery Center was opened in 1998 and as of 2009, had performed over 100,000 surgeries.
1992 David Duffield, founder of the Maddie's Fund, made his first large donation to an animal adoption facility. The new award winning PeopleSoft Adoption and Education center was opened, and the Veterinary Clinic was remodeled.
1988 The Oakland SPCA became the first animal shelter in the Bay Area to require that all adopted animals went home spayed or neutered.
1987 Gary Templin was named Executive Director of the Oakland SPCA.
1957 Under the guidance of Charles Marsh, the organization moved to its present location on Baldwin street.
1912 A series of instructional programs, tours and resource library were created. Our organization's first shelter was established in downtown Oakland in 1922.
1874 The Oakland SPCA was created to help ensure the humane treatment of horses, mules and other draft animals.